Prior to choosing a major procedure such as breast augmentation cosmetic surgery, the patient should have a clear understanding of how the procedure is performed, what are its benefits and risks, and how qualified is the operating surgeon. She should ideally write down all the questions, doubts, and concerns in advance and carry the list to the consultation appointment with the surgeon.
A committed plastic surgeon will take the time to answer all questions in detail and relieve the patient of her pre-surgery anxiety and concerns. Free and frank communication at this stage is vital to making the right decisions about breast augmentation surgery. Experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Brian Parker provides this procedure to patients in Las Vegas and surrounding communities.
Good Rapport and Open Communication
During the consultation process, the surgeon should be able to make the patient feel completely at ease so that a good rapport and a relationship of trust are established. The patient should feel free to ask any questions, and wherever she does not understand the surgeon’s reply, she may seek further clarifications. The surgeon, on their part, should provide all answers in a patient-friendly language and help the patient to make an informed decision.
To address some of the queries of the patient about the breast augmentation plastic surgery procedure, the surgeon may make use of before and after photographs of previous patients. Some surgeons may even offer the patient to review a video of the procedure to have a better understanding. To have more convincing feedback about the surgeon, the patient may request for testimonials of previous patients who have received breast augmentation from the surgeon.
Questions to Ask
The patient should ask questions along the following lines during the initial consultation for breast augmentation:
- What are your qualifications in general and cosmetic surgery?
- How many years of training and experience do you in surgical procedures?
- Have you performed breast implant surgeries previously and what is your patient satisfaction rate?
- What type of anesthesia would you recommend in my case?
- Will you perform the breast augmentation surgery at an accredited surgery center or a hospital?
- What will be the length of the surgery?
- Do you prefer saline or silicone breast implants for your patients, and why?
- Are there any risks and complications in breast implant surgery that I should know of?
- What is the average longevity of breast implants?
- Do you have a policy for breast revision procedures in the event of an early implant failure?
- How long and painful will be the post-surgical recovery?
- Should I arrange for aftercare at home for a few days?
- How much scarring is likely to occur after the surgery?
- Can I get pregnant in the future and will I be able to breastfeed?
- What would be the estimated cost of breast augmentation, including pre- and post-surgical expenses?
Dr. Parker is a dedicated cosmetic surgeon who will provide all answers in accurate details and help the patient make a well-considered and salient decision.